Friday 18 November 2011

New Zealand, A Different World?

Ever since we decided to leave the United Kingdom for New Zealand, I decided to do some of my own research on New Zealand. After all, I've never visited the country before, and although my wife is a kiwi I wanted to be as prepared as humanly possible for such a compelling event in our lives.

Here's some of what I've discovered:

People: New Zealanders are very sporty people in general. They have a passion for Rugby Union, Cricket, Netball and Golf. Soccer is also growing in popularity following the success of their national football team, affectionally known as 'The All Whites'.

Politics: There are two main parties in New Zealand, National and Labour. Since 1996 a form of proportional representation called Mixed Member Proportional has meant that government has been formed using a minority.

Climate: The climate is not dissimilar to the United Kingdom in the sense that it's a moderate climate. Although I have read that some parts can feel all four seasons before lunch! 

No comments:

Post a Comment