Thursday 24 November 2011

Cost Of Living In New Zealand

Generally, although this isn't through first had experience, as we don't fly out to New Zealand until November 30th. The cost of living in New Zealand is relatively speaking, the same as it is where we're living now in London. If, for arguments sack you're in a household of 2 people, you should be able to get by on $130 for food. However, that's not with any what I'd call luxury items like biscuits and cake or anything pre-packet.

This isn't a massive problem for us as a family because I'm quite adept at rolling my sleeves up and backing a batch of cookies for everyone every so often. So, I'll guess I'll just have to do that a little more regular once we arrive in New Zealand.

GST or goods service tax in New Zealand runs at 15% which for someone used to 17.5% VAT in England, then a whopping 20% VAT since January 2011 isn't too sad at all.

So, what exactly is taxable in New Zealand?

In essence, it's the same principle as in the UK and most other nations of the world. Good's and services are taxable. You can get a full flavour for GST on the New Zealand Inland Revenue's website and I'd highly recommend you pay it a visit here.

I point to note though. My mother in law, who lives in New Zealand has mentioned that dairy products like  milk and cheese are a little more expensive than you might have thought. Now, from a country that is famed for having arguabally the best dairy market in the world. I did find that quite hard to fathom out! I love dairy products so I might smuggle a cow into the garden if it does get too costly!

I have heard that clothing costs can be a little more expensive too, but if you're not into high fashion then that shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to conduct some research into online UK companies that deliver to New Zealand over the next couple of days, so keep checking back!

As ever, have a productive day.

God Bless

Alan

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear. You are in for such a shock. How about GST is on all food whereas in UK it is not. Also there is no tax free allowance on your earnings. You pay tax on every dollar.
    The low population means there is zero competition pricewise.

    The cost of living in NZ relative to earnings is very unfavourable, ditto to house prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi matey, food is more expensive here, we have a family of 4 and spend about $350 a week.
    Steak etc is dead cheap, chicken is really expensive.

    When buying fruit and veg buy in season, if you want tomatoes in winter your gonna have to but top rate for them, it's like living in old day Britain.

    Clothes are really expensive. We buy every time we go to the uk or purchase online from uk and get therm delivered to family, it's cheaper for them to post.

    You have to pay GST on fruit and veg here, which is not like the uk.



    But all in all, we have been here 3 years and we love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. All points duly noted.

    Thanks for taking the time out to post a response.

    We did our first shop today and I can see what you mean about fruit and veg prices! My daughter had to go without some red grapes as they were over $5! However, I found loads of British chocolate that was only 99 cents and in some corner shops in the UK these would have easily cost 70 odd pence! Swings and roundabouts I guess guys :) As for clothes, I totally intend to get shopping online and sent over from the UK. After all, you can't beat M&S undies (well that's what my Mum says!)

    God Bless

    AL

    ReplyDelete