Wednesday 23 November 2011

How To Use Your Skills Volunteering, To Aid Your Visa Application

Now, because I'm lucky enough to have a New Zealander for a wife, I've not had to use my qualifications, skills and experience for my New Zealand visa application. I'm applying for a partner visa instead. One of the down sides is that I cannot conduct any paid work whilst I'm waiting for my application to be processed.

This has given me the idea to use the experience that I gained when I worked for an organisation based in Dagenham, Essex that work with disabled, elderly and vulnerable people. If you're not already aware 2011 is the international year of volunteering. So, what better excuse to roll up your sleeves and help your fellow man!

This doesn't just apply to my own personal New Zealand emigration, this can apply to you too. There's organisations that can point you in the right direction, so that you too can not only volunteer your own experience and skills and get a personal reward from helping those less fortunate than yourselves, but also it tells the relevant immigration service in the country you want to settle in that you're community spirited! That has to help with your visa application! Right?

So it's a win/win situation! You get out and about, helping others and explore much more of your new surroundings earlier on than you might have done otherwise. You'll most likely make a heck of a lot of friends too in the process. Also, if you're an 'outdoors' type of person you might even get fitter in the process. Not only that, but, It'll help with anxiety and 'post emigration blues', in that it'll keep your mind occupied and lessen pining you may have when missing your home country.

If you've never volunteered before, don't let that put you off! Organisations won't expect the earth from you  and will really value any time you can help. Even if that's just an hour a week that's 52 hours a year! Right? Imagine if everyone you know did this for their fellow man, I'm sure the world would be a different place!

If you'd like to get some contacts or ideas, Sir Richard Branson's book called 'Worldwide Volunteering' would be an invaluable purchase. It's literally packed with ideas for gap year, holiday or emigration volunteering. With over 250,000 placements in over 200 countries, you'll find the right choice for you.



Giving my time to help others has been a real life enriching experience. I look forward to helping my New Zealand cousins once we've arrived in a week's time.

As always, keep positive and thanks for reading. Don't forget to bookmark if haven't already and I look forward to hearing your comments.

God bless

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment